Ben enjoys art museums, so we decided to check out one that we had not been to since we were kids, the Taft Museum of Art. Currently (February 2022), the house is under renovation and is not available to go through. Part of the collection has been moved to the connected Fifth Third Gallery. The rest of the collection was temporarily displayed at Union Terminal (aka the Cincinnati Museum Center, which is also a great place to visit). The house is set to reopen in June 2022, with the art collection restored to being showcased in the house.
The museum is now offering free admission for their bicentennial, although a $10 donation is suggested. When we went in February, there were timed entries and you could reserve your spot online.
The exhibits now have expanded information plaques, which we found very interesting. Since the collection is smaller right now, as not everything would fit in the event space, we were done in about an hour. They had several neat pieces, and we learned a few new things from the plaques.
There is a small cafe and gift shop located there as well. During the warmer months, there is a great outdoor garden patio.
We plan on going back after the house reopens. I’m sure it will be amazing with all the pieces back in place!
NOTE: There is a parking garage on the grounds, which is free with admission. When we went, there was some construction going on, so it was confusing to see the entrance. Coming from Pike Street, you want to stay to the left and turn left into the drive (looks like an alley) next to the house. Do NOT follow the road to the right, or you will have to drive around the block again.
- WHERE: 316 Pike Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202
- HOURS: Friday 11am-4pm, Saturday and Sunday 11am-5pm (Through 5/21/22. Check website in May for updated hours.)
- COSTS: Free/Currently a $10 donation is suggested (through 5/21/22). Normally admission is around $18.
- PARKING: Yes (in garage on property–free, or city street parking/garages/lots–normally paid)
- BATHROOM: Yes
- TIME RECOMMENDED: 1 hour+
- COVID RESTRICTIONS: Need to show proof of vaccination ages 12+ or negative test, timed entry (2/2022)
- *Details correct at the time of posting, but please double check before you go.